Shroud of Darkness

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Shroud of Darkness

Post by DoomCarrot »

Some think that light pierces darkness, and this is usually true, except for the dark magical powers of the lich.

This spell would give the lich the ability to cast a dark shroud over a certain area in which no light can reach nor fire can burn.

Range: 8
Cooldown: 5
When the spell is used, no units within the shroud can be caught on fire. Furthermore, the entire area is "fogged," so opponent's cannot see what lies inside the shroud. Scout units cannot see through it, and there is no way to see through the shroud. You can still attack units in it, but you cannot see what it is you are attacking.

The spell wears off at the beggining of the caster's next turn. Therefore, this spell offers massive protection for an undead army once every 5 turns.

TL;DR Undeads need more ways to combat fire, and this is a non power-creeping way of being able to do that to a small extent.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Sunrise Samurai

Re: Shroud of Darkness

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Coming on the heels of my using mass fire archers on you. Unfortunately, I think this might be a bit op the other way. Use it to cover an attack with 2 liches, and you have 2 turns in which you can attack with impunity and be virtually invulnerable. If you then pull back, you can easily destroy anything like that by repeating the process.

A while ago I proposed a building to shroud an area in darkness that simply adds 1 sight cost to reveal each square in range. We should probably consider it again. Building form means it can't cover an attack so easily as a defense.
The glorious sun rises again
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

It would be nice to fog, but anything else is a bit too much.

Just make it any unit inside the fog will only revealed one tile in front of them. Range unit will able to see 2.Tile in front of them. If you summon the fog, area shrouded will be a bit gray so you know where it is.
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.
Sunrise Samurai

Hmm. Interesting idea, make it a huge radius, and decreases the sight of everything inside by say 3-4. Scout units are still better than regular units, and it easily conceals your exact location from anything you aren't right on top of
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

Where is Alexander? It would be nice to discuss it with him.
Sunrise Samurai

I think Alexander the Great went off to fight Persia and never came back.
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

Not so great is he, anyways we need someone.

How about Genghis Khan or Napoleon or maybe Gandhi the Destroyer.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

The real aim of this though is to give undeads a way to counter fire from fortresses and elf archers. Although sunrise is right about the multiple lich thing, I do not think it is overpowered. Lets say you select an archer and aim in the shroud range. You would see many targets but not know what they are. You could still hit them, and if you were paying attention could probably figure out which few targets the lich might be. However, it would give undeads at least a rough chance to get certain troops to the frontline without getting burned alive 100% of the time.

Also, if you made 5 liches to have 100% shroud, you spent 25 turns on doing so.... anything you spend 25 turns to get SHOULD be wildly, super OP
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Sunrise Samurai

My concern isn't 100% shroud, actually. It's 1-2 turns worth coupled with death knights. Believe me, it's not easy trying to predict the available targets for those fireballs as it is. Elves actually have no good counter for them, as spearmen are useless against the high armor, and sentinels​ are slaughtered by the COUNTERATTACK!!! dragons may be effective, once you get a great tree putting them out, but that solution isn't a certainty, and is more expensive than the death knight for a long time.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

True, although I thought sentinels pretty much could 1-2 hit a death knight?

Return to “Undead Technologies”