Frost dragon

Skelegonsans

Re: Frost dragon

Post by Skelegonsans »

Savra wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:41 am
Skelegonsans wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:39 am Lookin pretty awesome! I'm just wondeirng if it would fit the game well because usually the dragon sprites are looking to the side and not the front, so that makes it look a bit different, but then again I don't think it's a general rule?... regardless it looks pretty cool!
Blue dragon looks forward, grey dragon looks forward, actually quit a few of the new dragons are in a front view perspective.
I mean, that's true, it's just that it's not as common apparently, it just makes it look a bit weird-ish but that's just me probably :lol:
That one guy that disappears for 6 months then comes back and keeps doing it over and over. :lol:
Have helped a lot with Scaledfolks early development a while ago, also author of Dragons Origin campaign.
Tankhead

Post by Tankhead »

Just cause your frozen doesn't mean you gain armor.
Their is plenty of units that could smash that like glass
"The smallest pebble was once the biggest stone, the biggest stone was once bigger"
Skelegonsans

Post by Skelegonsans »

read carefully, the units gains PIERCE armor. normal armor is unchanged. it's just that makes sense that an unit that is frozen wouldn't really take damage from arrows unless it's like, a huge ballista arrow or something. :lol:
That one guy that disappears for 6 months then comes back and keeps doing it over and over. :lol:
Have helped a lot with Scaledfolks early development a while ago, also author of Dragons Origin campaign.
Tankhead

Post by Tankhead »

Hmm regardless when a unit gets frozen clarify on what you mean?
Like frozen into a block of ice?
"The smallest pebble was once the biggest stone, the biggest stone was once bigger"
Skelegonsans

Post by Skelegonsans »

Yeah, the unit pretty much gets covered by a thick layer of ice that slowly melts over the duration of the debuff. I was thinking to maybe do something like, the armor bonus starts at 30 and then it goes down by 10 for every turn that passes for the debuff (as in 30/20/10 at turns 1/2/3 of the debuff), but that would be unecessary coding complication, so it's better to just make the frozen unit immune to pierce damage (+999 pierce armor).
Tankhead

Post by Tankhead »

If they are completely covered or even a thick of layer of ice wouldn't living organisms die?
Or suffer major damage
Savra

Post by Savra »

They should suffer damage. Like 3 or something, make it interesting.
Skelegonsans

Post by Skelegonsans »

Actually many living organisms enter a stasis state when in very low temperatures and rarely die outright, they usually only die when the temperature drops TOO much or they stay too long in stasis if I'm not mistaken. so no need to add damage I think, it's already pretty strong being a 3 turn disable
Savra

Post by Savra »

(Takes the fun out of freezing people... 8-) )
Tankhead

Post by Tankhead »

Skelegonsans wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:00 am Actually many living organisms enter a stasis state when in very low temperatures and rarely die outright, they usually only die when the temperature drops TOO much or they stay too long in stasis if I'm not mistaken. so no need to add damage I think, it's already pretty strong being a 3 turn disable
Does this apply to being frozen?
In real life in cold weather the flesh to an organism gets affected heavily.
( its really painful when not numb )
Savra

Post by Savra »

Frost burn.
Skelegonsans

Post by Skelegonsans »

it's painful, but unless you stay for a lot of time in the cold after passing out, or just get so cold to the point that your cells instantly die (but that's only on near absolute 0 temperatures), you won't really die, just... stay unconcsious and in pain pretty much. which is still bad, but still not dead. :lol:

I guess we can add a little damage. Maybe 5 magic damage per turn as long as the unit stays frozen (making for a total of 15 over 3 turns). but then the spell shouldn't be able to target allies anymore (no freezing allies to death, stupid dragon! :lol: )
Tankhead

Post by Tankhead »

Since this freezing affect/spell can be attach to other future units then this could work but if this requires coding dev will need to know
( then it will be forgotten in votes )
Savra

Post by Savra »

Tankhead wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 am Since this freezing affect/spell can be attach to other future units then this could work but if this requires coding dev will need to know
( then it will be forgotten in votes )
Not necessarily, if you can just make it modify stats to work like curse with some additional things plus a icon you could probably get away with making it without Stratego having to do it. You never know until you try, and by try I mean experiment. That's how I learned a lot of things.
Skelegonsans

Post by Skelegonsans »

Exactally. not necessarily it's a complicate thing to do. it's basically a mix of poison, curse and armor increase effect. The units is paralyzed (curse), takes 5 damage per turn (poison) and gains +999 pierce armor (armor increase) for 3 turns. The only coding required would be merging those three debuffs into a new one and coding the values of the spell itself (cooldown, range and stuff).
Tankhead

Post by Tankhead »

@General Brave Is this possible?
Savra

Post by Savra »

He did do the dragon breaths and scaledfolk spells.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I don't like yoir idea of freezing.
1. It is a bit too powerful for on-hit effect
2. I don't like idea of spell that affects both your and enemies and that also adds lots of p.armor and stops unit.

Also i have already idea for freezing effect:
For few turns (1-2) it will lower actions/turn by -1 and speed by -1 of target unit. Can't affect buildings.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Savra

Post by Savra »

Wasn't that the chilling weapon idea? No wait, that one did damage too didn't it? Maybe just leave freezing to that effect that way we get them all in with one shot. Like burning.
Skelegonsans

Post by Skelegonsans »

makazuwr32 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:22 am I don't like yoir idea of freezing.
1. It is a bit too powerful for on-hit effect
2. I don't like idea of spell that affects both your and enemies and that also adds lots of p.armor and stops unit.

Also i have already idea for freezing effect:
For few turns (1-2) it will lower actions/turn by -1 and speed by -1 of target unit. Can't affect buildings.
It is not too strong. it affects ONE unit for 3 turns with a 3 turn cooldown so it can't go around spam-freezing units. plus stronger units will have a good chance of resisting the freeze because most of them have a high spell resist. since the freeze will deal damage now there's no need to cast it on allies so it can't be cast on allies.

Also that effect you mentioned is CHILLING effect not FREEZING effect.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Chilling yes was slowing, lowering attack and damaging effect.

Chilling and freezing are different:
Chilling lowers temperature of unit itself and thus it lowers damage, deals damage to unit and slows it. It is like you are in extremly cold enviroment without winter clothes but as the same time it doesn't actually puts ice on you.
Freezing is just pust some ice onto unit that doesn't hurt but greatly reduces moving possibilities.

As i see them.

And yes i read that and still don't like idea. Actually it is way too powerful and also i had in mind my freezing for some new units (i won't spoil anything yet for now exept that undeads and maybe elves will have this).
Last edited by makazuwr32 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Savra

Post by Savra »

chilling does damage, but my original idea was to give it a frost breath but if we choose ice bolt then it won't be affected by resistance.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Frost breath? That sounds better.
Like fireball ability that deals damage and applies chilling effect? (Or even like poison breath that only applies effect).
I like that more.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Tankhead

Post by Tankhead »

Oh yea that makes sense

Fireball - burns
Frost breath - slows
And both does damage

I like that idea
Savra

Post by Savra »

Alright, then it's settled then, frost breath.
Savra

Post by Savra »

Updated first page, let me know what needs to change so this can be set as ready.
Skelegonsans

Post by Skelegonsans »

Well, there's already a dragon that slows with its breath which is the storm dragon (it was meant to be a stun, a curse-like effect but it would be too op for an are effect so it was left as slowing). So this dragon is basically a slower, higher-cost copy of storm dragon...
Savra

Post by Savra »

That has a breath attack that lowers other stats of enemies as well as continually damaging them.
Skelegonsans

Post by Skelegonsans »

So it slows, lowers stats AND damages? ok, now that sounds a bit unblanaced unless it's a single-target ability. I remember suggesting something like that in another dragon topic and a lot of people said it was unbalanced, soo...
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I think that frost breath must only apply effect like poison breath. No base damage like from fireball.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader

Return to “Scaledfolk”