AoF Dev version/standard version crash IMPLEMENTED

sambojin

AoF Dev version/standard version crash IMPLEMENTED

Post by sambojin »

Couldn't post in the Age of Fantasy section for reporting problems, so it ended up here.

This is for AoF:

One of my multiplayer games, "Waaaghh of the Worlds 2v2", has a player in it, Alexander82, using the dev version of the app. The rest of us are running the standard version.

The first couple of turns ran fine.

Now the app asks me to update to the newest version on start, as there are custom units not in my version.

Mine is the most current "standard" version available on GooglePlay.

So I think he has eventually made a new unit that is not available in the standard version yet, but this has other side effects too.

The app now crashes when I try and update turns for my multiplayer games. It does this for other players in this game as well.

Any game "below" this one on my list updates fine, the app crashes on trying to update this one (Waaaghh of the Worlds 2v2). And so never updates anything further up my list (locking me out of several games).

I've sent an email to zerotouchsystems and sent the game to the dev (even though it's meant to be by request only, I figured you'd ask for it eventually).

Bit of a doozy for a crash, but probably pretty easy to fix. Almost an anti-cheat system, though punishing the "non-custom" players currently :). Not Alexander82's fault, but still damn annoying on how the two versions interact. I'll wait until dev version content is added to the standard version if necessary, but it's annoying to tank on participation due to another player testing developer stuff.

Still, it's a bug and a crash issue, and locks a player out of updating any other maps higher up their list completely if someone uses the dev version, so it's pretty important to fix.

Thanks in advance.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: AoF Dev version/standard version crash on "custom" units

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i will need to publish the latest version to market then (i was about to anyway)

sorry for the inconvenience, i believe Alexander will not do that again (using unpublished units in public multiplayer game).
sambojin

Re: AoF Dev version/standard version crash IMPLEMENTED

Post by sambojin »

It's all good. He probably didn't know that he had, and we wouldn't know that this could be a crash issue otherwise.

It may even be something as simple as a changed "tag" of a functionally identical unit (from the user's perspective) between the dev and standard version. The scripts may be different in the engine, but the unit might look just the same to the player.

I'm just as happy if you delete that game, if you're not ready to publish yet.

We're only 3 turns in, no sight, no combat.

Plus, we've successfully identified a potential issue for the future :)
sambojin

Post by sambojin »

Update worked.

Thanks!

That's some fast developer response time you've got.
sambojin

Post by sambojin »

Ummmmm. Guess what?

Same multiplayer game. Same "update due to custom units" message on app start. Same crash on trying to update that game (Waaaghh of the Worlds 2v2). It says it's Alexander82's turn, can't update game turn beyond that.

Do you want me to resend game save via email from inside the app again?
sambojin

Post by sambojin »

NOT ACTUALLY IMPLEMENTED!!!

Same crash still on updating that particular game. Sent crash report/game file about a week ago.

I'm at "skull/do not play against" badge level now.

Meh. I'll make another multiplayer account in a few version's time.

I literally can't play multiplayer games with this crash on updating turns right now. Glad I reported it. But it may not just be dev version/standard version errors.

Either someone is cheating in this map, and we are paying for it, or there's an annoying crash bug at play.

Return to “Archived - Reporting Issues”